Help Wanted: People Who Make Stuff

A recent Business Insider article claims 47% of all jobs will go away in the next few decades and be replaced by robots. They claim the safest of the remaining 53% will be careers requiring creative thinking. Looks like the people who come up with amazing and wonderful things will always be in demand. Over the past few years I’veContinue reading “Help Wanted: People Who Make Stuff”

A Few Thoughts on the Social TV NYC Meetup

A few years ago I signed up to attend the Social TV NYC Meetup. It was right around the time that Social TV was really taking off. Twitter and Facebook were blowing up. Tunerfish, GetGlue and Miso were all jumping into the second screen check-in space. Every broadcast and cable marketer saw the opportunity toContinue reading “A Few Thoughts on the Social TV NYC Meetup”

What My 10 Year Old Teaches Me Every Day About Technology & Social Media

Bill Hartnett: What a 10-Year-Old Teaches Me Every Day about Technology and Social Media Here’s something I wrote a few weeks back for David Berkowitz’s Marketers Studio marketing blog. If you are not already familiar with him or his work, he is an all-around awesome guy with an insatiable curiosity for gadgets, innovation and desserts.

The Power of Great Management

There seem to be endless books and articles praising leadership as a virtue and vilifying management as a vice, that somehow mere management is beneath the lofty status of the great leader. Often portrayed as unforgiving, solitary geniuses who demand excellence and punish mediocrity, leaders can’t be bothered with the day-to-day minutiae of running anContinue reading “The Power of Great Management”

But we don’t even watch TV anymore

It started as a debate over where to put the Christmas tree. I wanted it in the corner of the living room where it would cause the least impact. My kids had other plans. They wanted it in the window so you could see it from the street. I countered that it would block theContinue reading “But we don’t even watch TV anymore”

Believe in the product, then believe in the vision

Every day many of us find inspiration in the words and ideas of Seth Godin, Gaping Void, Guy Kawasaki and many others. Great minds make it sound so easy. With a little confidence, a strong vision and some connections you will be drowning in VC money and prepping for the big payday. Your product, companyContinue reading “Believe in the product, then believe in the vision”

A Tale of Two Restaurants

Right across the street from a place I used to work there was a restaurant. Bright. Airy. Convenient. With a beautiful corner location in a great neighborhood and plenty of foot traffic it seemed like a slam dunk for success. Down a nearby side street in a cramped basement there was another restaurant. Small. Hidden.Continue reading “A Tale of Two Restaurants”

Are you really being social in social media?

Some twitter users have thousands, tens or even hundreds of thousands of followers and they don’t follow anyone (or very few). I don’t mean celebrities, just experts, pundits, writers and the countless social media ninjas/gurus/rockstars/experts, etc. Or there are people who follow thousands or even hundreds of thousands of people and have an equal numberContinue reading “Are you really being social in social media?”

Little Bear is Everywhere – Kids, Cable and Commercials

Back in 2006 when my son was 3, I realized how profoundly different his relationship with media would be than mine. His favorite show was on TV, DVR, iPod, DVD, cellphone, online and even on VHS for the VCR at a remote summer house. He could watch it whenever and wherever he wanted without commercials.Continue reading “Little Bear is Everywhere – Kids, Cable and Commercials”

Content on Shuffle

I want to explore how we discover and experience content. The intersection of search, curation and sharing under the umbrella of discovery is fascinating and constantly changing. How does it impact how we interpret the world around us and how we learn? And how does the digital world affect how we socialize and share ourContinue reading “Content on Shuffle”